Funded by Echidna Giving and Master Card Foundations
Project level: Learners in rural Malawi are transitioned and retained in high-quality, inclusive and empowering Community Day Secondary Schools
National level: Reforms are introduced to accelerate improvement of quality education in CDSS
- Improve English language, leadership and employability skill of 7200 youth
- Increase pedagogical skills and content knowledge in English for 108 in-service teachers
- Support 36 schools to improve school management and governance
- Enhance Ministry of Education’s capacity for decision making to improve quality of education in CDSSs
Districts: Thyolo, Mulanje, Ntchisi and Chitipa
Targeting: 36 CDSSs; 410 teachers, 360 mother groups, 5400 form one students, 4500 forms one to three students trained in employability skills.
- Implementation of planned activities slowed down due to Covid-19.
- MasterCard Foundation & Echidna Giving provided $20,000 to help CRECCOM carry out non-traditional COVID-19 response
- The project discussed and agreed with Ministry of Education to print English Sets and distributed them to all 36 CDSSs for students to use during this time when schools remain closed due to COVID-19.
- The project donors approved 8 months funded extension from January – August 2021.